September 4 ~ This Week
This Week at the Market
Savor the end of the summer by grilling top quality meats and seafood from the Monona Farmers’ Market. Stop by Highland Spring Farm and Weber Pastures for grass-fed beef and organic fed chicken. South Padre Seafood offers wild caught seafood from North American waters. Talk with the vendors for great cooking suggestions. For a special treat, try this recipe created by Keely Oppermann of Highland Spring Farm.
Farmers’ Market Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich
- 1 sirloin tip steak, rib steak or other steak
- Stella’s Spicy Cheese Bread Hamburger Buns or Stalzy’s Deli Rolls
- Farmer John’s Provolone or Colby Caliente Cheese
- 1 Tblsp Paeleon’s Olive Oil or Platteville’s Sunflower Oil
- 1 green or red pepper, sliced thin
- 1 small onion, sliced thin
- Seasonings: Your favorite grilling seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, seasoned salt, fresh grated black pepper
- Season steak with all of the spices to taste
- Grill steak on very hot grill for 3 to 4 minutes per side (rare to medium rare) and let rest on a plate for 7 to 10 minutes tented under tin foil. The meat will continue to get done while resting and you will be broiling it, so don’t overcook!
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a sauté pan on medium heat. Saute onions and peppers until soft. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat broiler in oven.
- Build your sandwiches with two rolls sliced and open faced on a broiler pan or cookie sheet. Put a slice of cheese on each side of the bun. Slice the steak thin against the grain. You can cut it again so that it’s in bite sized pieces. Place steak on each roll with some of the peppers and onions.
- Place under broiler on top rack for 1 to 2 minutes until cheese in melted and bun is toasted.
- Enjoy! Serves 2 to 3
The Old Gray Cats return this Sunday. They are an old-time string band featuring fiddle, guitar, banjo, stand-up bass and vocals who liven the market with upbeat, foot-stomping music.
Master Gardener Volunteers are looking forward to questions that arise this time of year. September is the perfect time to evaluate your yard and garden and look for ways to invigorate your landscape. You can get expert advice this Sunday and September 18.
Mayor Bob Miller will be at his picnic table office from 10:00 am to noon. Stop by to share ideas, concerns or discuss issues. Starting at 11:00, he will broadcast live on Monona’s local radio station, WVMO at 98.7 FM.
Art at the Mart
Mark your calendars for the 9th annual “Art at the Mart” Craft Fair is Sunday, September 11 (rain date, Sept. 18) from 9:00 to 1:00. There will be over 40 craft vendors, entertainment and crafts for kids.